David Baume’s (PhD SFSEDA SFHEA) passion is to improve learning in higher education, based on a thorough understanding of the conditions for student learning and educational change.
- Independent international higher education researcher, evaluator, consultant, staff and educational developer and writer since 2001
- Fellow of the University of London Centre for Online and Distance Education since 2010
- Founding Chair of SEDA
- Co-founder of the UK Heads of Educational Development Group (HEDG)
- Founding council member of ICED, founding editor of IJAD, and winner of the Spirit of ICED award in 2014
- Co-founder and Director of the Centre for Higher Education Practice at the UK Open University
- Author, tutor, external reviewer and examiner for courses on teaching and learning in higher education in several countries for over 30 years
- Author of some 60 papers, articles and reports on HE topics including teaching, assessment, evaluation, learning outcomes, course design and portfolios
- Reviewer of papers for higher education journals
- Co-editor of four books on staff and educational development, most recently Advancing Practice in Academic Development, edited with Celia Popovic, Routledge, 2016.
- Recent papers and chapters are:
- Baume, D. (2017). Scholarship in Action. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 54(2)
- Baume, D. and Scanlon, E. (2018). What the research says about learning. In: R. Luckin, ed., Enhancing Learning and Teaching with Technology – What the Research Says, 1st ed. London: IoE Press
- Baume, D., 2018. Towards a measure of learning gain. A journey. With obstacles. Higher Education Pedagogies, 3(1), pp.51–53. Available at: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23752696.2018.1467213 [Accessed 2018].
- Brown, S. and Baume, D. 2022. ‘Not another group activity!’: Student attitudes to individual and collaborative learning activities, and some implications for distance learning course design and operation. Innovations in Education and Teaching International. https://doi.org/10.1080/14703297.2022.2062424
- Reprint available at: https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/N7HVU2IYVMYMN8JWUISH/full?target=10.1080/14703297.2022.2062424
- Blog posts for WonkHE and University World News.
David has supported the implementation of Information Literacy for the University of London and co-written and co-run a course on blended learning in HE in East and West Africa for the Association of Commonwealth Universities via the PEBL project. He has trained senior staff in Nigerian Universities on implementing Open and Distance Learning, and trained tutors at the University of China.
email@example.com, www.davidbaume.com, @David_Baume. Revised July 2022