SENIOR FELLOWSHIP (SFSEDA)
SFSEDA identifies me to myself as a member of the most nurturing professional community I have ever met.
Who is it for?
Senior Fellowship of SEDA (SFSEDA) is suitable for people leading academic development policy, practice or scholarship, who bring about institutional or organisational change in academic development or whose work has had a significant impact on the academic development community. This may include those in senior roles in institutions and would also be suitable for National Teaching Fellows (or equivalent overseas) whose work is in academic development, as well as senior post holders in SEDA or similar professional bodies and those working in the sector in an independent role.
How do you achieve Senior Fellowship of SEDA?
Successful applicants for Senior Fellowship will provide a submission which demonstrates the Core Development Outcomes; the Specialist Outcomes for both the SEDA Fellowship and the Senior Fellowship, and how the applicant’s work is informed by, and promotes, the SEDA Values.
Before applying, please contact the SEDA Fellowships Co-ordinator for an initial discussion about the profile of your role and your past experience, to consider how well they are suited to an application under this particular scheme. Contact details below.
Your Senior Fellowship of SEDA application should show you have demonstrated the relevant core development outcomes, specialist outcomes and values:
Core Development Outcomes
Your submission should include an action plan which covers at least one complete development cycle. It should show that you have:
- Identified your own professional development goals, directions and/or priorities
- Planned for your initial and/or continuing professional development
- Undertaken appropriate development activities
- Reviewed your development and your practice, and the relations between them.
You should also demonstrate that you have identified your current approach and capabilities, your future development needs and show how you plan to remain in good standing.
Specialist Outcomes for Fellowship and Senior Fellowship
If you are already a SEDA Fellow, then you need take no further action to demonstrate the specialist outcomes for Fellowship. If not already a Fellow, you must demonstrate both sets of specialist outcomes.
Fellowship Specialist Outcomes
- Identified goals for academic development processes and activities
- Planned and led academic development processes and activities towards achievement of these goals
- Facilitated and led processes and activities to achieve the agreed goals
- Monitored and evaluated the effectiveness and the acceptability of the development processes and activities
- Identified any appropriate follow-up development process or activity
- Provided a sustained contribution to the improvement of education through academic development
- Given service to the community of developers
- Contributed to the body of professional knowledge and practice in academic development.
There is no single appropriate way to demonstrate these outcomes. However, we suggest you create a CV with commentary and annotations, which explains your role and shows how your role, your activities and your contributions to the community of developers link to the Specialist Outcomes.
- Developing understanding of how people learn
- Practising in ways that are scholarly, professional and ethical
- Working with and developing learning communities
- Valuing diversity and promoting inclusivity
- Continually reflecting on practice to develop ourselves, others and processes
How demonstrated: through a 2000 word reflective commentary, or equivalent, which shows how your work is informed by, and promotes, the six SEDA Values.
A supporting letter from an independent referee will confirm the relevance and accuracy of your claims in the reflective commentary and CV.
Before planning your application, please contact the SEDA Fellowships Co-ordinator to check eligibility for the Senior Fellowship.
Dr Marita Grimwood email@example.com
For further details please see the Senior Fellowship Handbook
Application Form - please submit this form to register your intention to put in a Senior Fellowship submission. The office will invoice you on receipt of this form.
Submission Form - to be completed when you are ready to submit
Assessment Form - for assessors to complete
How much does it cost?
One-off registration and assessment fee = £650
Recurrent annual cost = £45 (Senior Fellowship fee) + £110 (Individual Membership of SEDA)
Continuing Professional Development
SEDA is committed to continuing professional development. Individuals holding a Senior Fellowship are required to engage in a regular CPD process in order to remain ‘in good standing’. For further details click here.
There is a register of all categories of Fellowship holders on the SEDA website.