Home > Professional Development > SEDA-PDF > What is SEDA-PDF? > Named Awards > Action Research
This is one of the SEDA-PDF named awards available through SEDA’s Professional Development Framework. It is of particular relevance to a range of staff who support student learning on higher education awards.
The SEDA-PDF named award Action Research enables an individual to select, investigate and enhance a chosen area or aspect of work through the completion of an action research cycle.
This named award is applicable to a wide range of academic and academic related staff working in higher education. Those who have any role which supports or enables learning and/or discipline based educational research will complete a small scale investigation into a selected topic of professional practice. An action research cycle will drive the investigation to completion. Any associated ethical issues will need to be identified and appropriate institutional approval gained for completion.
Award recipients will have shown how their work is informed by the SEDA-PDF Values
- An understanding of how people learn
- Scholarship, professionalism and ethical practice
- Working in and developing learning communities
- Working effectively with diversity and promoting inclusivity
- Continuing reflection on professional practice
- Developing people and processes.
Further guidance on the SEDA Values.
Core Development Outcomes
Award recipients will be able to:
- Identify their own professional development goals, directions or priorities
- Plan for their initial and/or continuing professional development
- Undertake appropriate development activities
- Review their development and practice, and the relations between them.
Additionally, award recipients will be able to:
- Select an area of practice for development
- Provide a rationale for the choice
- Complete a cycle of action research in the selected area
- Evaluate the (potential) impact of the action research cycle
- Reflect upon the benefits of engaging with others in this work
Named award co-ordinators
Ruth Pilkington: email@example.com