SEDA’s objective is the advancement of education for the benefit of the public, particularly through improvement of educational and professional development in higher education. To this end, SEDA offers its members and the wider education community, including university and college based higher education, relevant and valued activities, professional recognition opportunities, and publications in order to:
- Enhance capability in leading and supporting educational change
- Deliver and support the professional development of new and experienced academic staff; staff in learning and teaching support roles; and those involved in special initiatives to enhance and develop learning and teaching across the higher education sector
- Lead and support improvements in the quality of students’ educational experiences
- Support institutional members in relation to strategic educational change and development
- Foster, through scholarship, a greater understanding of educational development, the teaching process and the nature of students' learning.
ValuesSEDA is a values-driven organisation, committed to educational development, and underpinned by the following values:
- Developing understanding of how people learn
- Practising in ways that are scholarly, professional and ethical
- Working with and developing learning communities
- Valuing diversity and promoting inclusivity
- Continually reflecting on practice to develop ourselves, others and processes.